Saturday, March 19, 2011

Meeting My Birth Mother


I remember when I was twelve years old, and my mother told me that we had to go to court. At the time, I did not really think much of it. I thought she had to go to court for something she had done. When the next day came, we went to court and were sitting in there for hours when, eventually, a lady walked in. I noticed that I looked just like her. My mama looked at me and told me that the lady who looked like me was my birth mother. I always knew that the woman who raised me was not my birth mother. I just never knew who my birth mother was. The judge gave my birth mother visitation rights. Also, I met my little brother, Austin, who is now twelve; my two big brothers, Brandon and Marquette (Brandon is now in jail, and Marquette recently died) as well as my sister Jarvetta. When I first met my birth mother, I was hurt because I wondered how she let herself lose me and not my brothers and sister. Very shortly after we met, my birth mother died in her sleep. No one knows how. When she did, I was still hurt and did not go to the funeral. I did go to see her body. Now, I have forgiven her. I am more happy and love her more and even care about her. Sometimes I feel like a piece of my heart has been ripped way, but I know that one day we will meet again and share laughter and tears. Each day, I wish she was here. I do not hold her past against her, because I know she loved me. Donna Lynn Lewis will forever be missed. (Ashley Williams, 11th grade)


Note: Above image is not of the author's birth mother. Photo credit belongs to Guardian UK.com and was featured in a story on adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment