Saturday, March 12, 2011

Barbados Dreams


My mother's family is from Barbados. Although I have not yet been there, my mother has told me stories about the place. My mom has a picture of herself in Barbados. It's a nice place, I've heard. My family talks about the blue water and drinks they have there, things like cocount water and mango juice. One of my friends is from Barbados, and he has told me a lot about it. This summer I plan to go and want to take two friends.

What do I imagine Barbados to be like? I think it has nice people and that it's a place where people party all night, relax on the beautiful beaches and sleep in nice beds that would make a person never want to come back to Atlanta.


People who see my afro and my smooth, dark skin ask me what I'm mixed with. At first, I didn't know what to say, but eventually my mom told me about my ancestry. I was happy. When I have kids I want them to be from Barbados. I can't wait to go.


(Braxton Mitchell, 12th Grade)

No comments:

Post a Comment